18.2.10

unkown boxes of interpretation

So I've been thinking quite a bit about Dan's post on black boxes that work their magic to create outputs out of inputs. My super long 'brain dump' was essentially outlining all the inputs that I am aware of in my artwork, and trying to correlate them with physical processes and outputs. I am still working on mapping all that out, just because I think it will be helpful to myself, but have postponed posting it, because I don't know how useful it would be (and besides, reading super long posts, or anything for that matter, in sans-serif fonts is painful). But, I have been thinking about the 'box,' what it means or represents, and the meaning of words that I normally associate with creating something of worth to myself. I thought of the word 'intelligence,' and what that means. In our religious context, that word has a lot of connotation and meaning, and perhaps even a tinge of a sense of magical wonder, and I wondered, 'How do interpret that into something definable?' I also have other questions I am still mulling over.
Today I was thinking of interpretation. I interpret a lot of things. I think that's a good word to put to my process of taking a lot of input and making an output that I feel will have significance in a realm beyond my personal self. I am interpreting emotions, thought processes/concepts, words, into a visual language. Other words I think might be synonymous are 'translating,' or 'encoding.' Often times I have heard the word 'feel' used in critiques, or have thought it to myself, where something simply feels consistent, or right, or something feels like it doesn't belong. It is a way of interpreting things across different areas, from visual to emotional, or visual to psychological--a synesthesia of emotion, subconscious, and physical senses.
I read some interesting articles about synesthesia and creative processes, and I think that is something significant to art making--the ability to have ideas cross over from one realm to another, or one language to another, while still maintaining a certain degree of integrity or self sufficiency.

1 comment:

  1. "Verily, I say unto you" for Jesus is like Bryan starting with "So I've been thinking. . ." That said, I think I am more interested in that bryan is saying something than what he is saying. Not that what he is saying isn't of any significance - It's just easy to get caught up in Brian's world. If Bryan were doing an installation, I imagine it would have a nicely framed photo portrait of himself (like the one currently on display outside the photo studio f-wing 2nd floor), a comfortable thinking chair, and walls strewn with the ideas of his mad mind (visually similar to those walls in the film 'a beautiful mind').

    On another note, 'the ability to have ideas cross over form one realm to another, etc.' is a great line. Truth is simple. This is simple. This is what DARCI can shoot for.

    ReplyDelete